Stage 284: Spelling Bee Auditions!
Stage 284 is excited to bring The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee to our space this Summer!
This production will have a Youth and Adult cast. Participants must be 14 years of age or older to audition. This show is rated PG-13 due to mature content. Some language and subject matter might not be appropriate for all ages.
“Winner of the Tony and the Drama Desk Awards for Best Book, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee has charmed audiences across the country with its effortless wit and humor. Featuring a fast-paced, wildly funny and touching book by Rachel Sheinkin and a truly fresh and vibrant score by William Finn, this bee is one unforgettable experience.
An eclectic group of six mid-pubescents vie for the spelling championship of a lifetime. While candidly disclosing hilarious and touching stories from their home lives, the tweens spell their way through a series of (potentially made-up) words, hoping never to hear the soul-crushing, pout-inducing, life un-affirming “ding” of the bell that signals a spelling mistake. Six spellers enter; one speller leaves! At least the losers get a juice box.
A riotous ride, complete with audience participation, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee is a delightful den of comedic genius. The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee is a fast-paced crowd pleaser and an instant theatre patron favorite.”
Teen Cast: We are looking for auditionees 14 years -18 years old to bring this production to life!
Adult Cast: We are looking for auditionees 18 years old and up to bring this production to life!
Auditions and Callbacks:
Auditions will take place Wednesday, April 27th from 6:30PM-9:30PM and Sunday, May 1st from 5:30PM to 8:30PM. Please follow the instructions below to sign up for a 5-minute audition slot. Callbacks are Monday, May 2nd from 8PM-10PM. If you are unable to make the audition times or callback times and are interested in being a part of the production, please contact Katie Clarke at email@example.com.
For your audition, please prepare 16-32 bars of a musical theater song that showcases your voice and range. You will be singing acapella so that our Music Director, Cole Lundquist, can focus on your fantastic voices! Your song does not have to be in the style of the show but should showcase your unique style. We will also be asking you to perform some sides (small scenes) from the show. These will be available prior to your audition and we ask that you memorize 2 short sides. Here is a link to the script:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q7LS4Abb1pNQHsf4iyTvhtOQhWIblw5q/view?usp=sharing sides will be coming soon :)!
Please prepare to stay for 30 minutes at the time of your audition.
- Adult Show Dates:
- July 8th @ 7:30PM
- July 9th @ 2PM & 7:30PM
- July 10th @ 2PM
- July 15th @ 7:30PM
- July 16th @ 7:30PM
- Youth Show Dates:
- July 16th @ 2PM
- July 17th @ 2PM
- July 22nd @ 7:30PM
- July 23rd @ 2PM UNDERSTUDY SHOW
- July 23rd @ 7:30PM
- July 24th @ 2PM
Tech Week: Due to the Holiday, tech week will be split between June and July
- Adult Tech Week:
- June 27th 6PM-11PM
- June 28th 6PM-11PM
- June 29th 6PM-11PM
- June 30th 6PM-11PM
- July 5th 6PM-11PM
- July 6th 6PM-11PM
- Youth Tech Week:
- July 7th 6PM-10PM
- July 10th 6PM-10PM
- July 11th 6PM-10PM
- July 12th 6PM-10PM
- July 13th 6PM-10PM
- July 14th 6PM-10PM UNDERSTUDY TECH
- July 20th Potential Brush Up Rehearsal
General Rehearsal Schedule:
- Rehearsals will be held starting May 10th on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays 6PM-10PM. In June we will switch to Sundays, Mondays, and Thursdays from 6PM-10PM. There may be an additional day added as we near the performance dates. Youth Actors will be released between 9PM and 9:30PM while school is still in session.
- All conflicts must be submitted at the time of casting. Additional conflicts must be approved by the Artistic Director, Katie Clarke, and continual additional conflicts may result in recasting or removal from the production.
Strike & Cast Party:
- All cast members are required to attend strike directly following the final performance.
- There will be a cast party after the final performance and families and friends are welcome to attend!
- This show will be brought to life by:
- Katie Clarke (Co-Director)
- Cassie Foote (Co-Director)
- Cole Lundquist (Music Director)
- Erica Lundin (Choreographer)
- Craig Robertson (Lighting & Set Design)
- Brian Doser (Sound Design)
As a reminder, participants must be 14 years of age or older to audition. This show is rated PG-13 due to mature content. Some language and subject matter might not be appropriate for all ages.
If you have any questions, please contact our Artistic Director, Katie Clarke at firstname.lastname@example.org
Looking forward to a great season!